Active search icon

Working Near Lines

No Go Zones

No Go Zones (NGZ) are defined distances for safety clearances surrounding overhead and underground electricity assets.

We continue to work with Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) to help prevent serious injury and deaths resulting from vehicles coming into contact with overhead powerlines and underground assets on farms. 

If you are planning to undertake work near powerlines, we recommend visiting ESV’s No Go Zones page for safety information and advice.

NGZ Access Authority System

AusNet Services operates a NGZ access authority system that prohibits all non VESI (Victorian Electrical Supply Industry) or 'ordinary' persons from accessing and working on or near any part of the asset or in the vicinity of the asset without an appropriate permit in accordance with the NGZ Guidelines when third parties contact a Major Electricity Company (MEC) for advice.

To find out more about No Go Zones, please visit Victorian Electricity Supply Industry (VESI) or Energy Safe Victoria.  

Authorities given specify minimum distances that people and equipment can work near overhead and underground electricity assets, and also provide guidance on the process to be followed where these clearances cannot be met. Equipment includes cranes, excavators, concrete pumpers, elevated work platforms (including scissor lifts) and scaffolding.

After making contact with us or our representative, a person or company will require either written advice or a Permit to Work before starting work near electricity overhead or underground networks. We’ll only issue written advice or a Permit to Work after we’ve visited and assessed the work site.

NGZ site visit requests for AusNet Electricity Services (Distribution)

To progress your NGZ request, you'll need to contact our representative, Extec Services. This includes requests for:

  • Underground 

  • Overhead and 

  • High Loads/Oversize Loads 

Extec Services will manage all aspects of your No Go Zone request and arrange to conduct a visit of your site.

Extec Services can be contacted by:


Phone: (03)59417333 

NGZ process and timeframes

No Go Zone request
Approximate lead time for a site visit
Up to 5 working days for site visit. Customers contacted within 48 hours for appointment
Permit to work assessment and issue
  • LV permits no switching can be issued at site visit. Up to 5 working days for site visit. Customers contacted within 48 hours for appointment.

  • Any HV permits for suppression minimum 10 working days.

  • Any permits requiring supply interruption minimum 20 working days

Process for typical situations such as supply shutdowns/isolations
Up to 5 weeks (requires 18 working days for Network Operations)
Protective warning methods such as fitting of tiger tails or insulating mats
Up to 5 weeks for the management and completion of requests
Protective Visual warning methods such as No Go Zone flagging, warning signs
Up to 5 weeks for the management and completion of requests

Indicative costs for No Go Zone Services

All costs are subject to variation and will vary on a case by case basis depending on Work requirements. Indicative costs do not include additional services including but not limited to; Traffic Management Services, Council, VicRoads Permits.

Visual warning methods such as tiger tails and flagging
Service type
Minimum charge          
Installation of Tiger tails (covers)
Installation of Flagging
Electrical Shutdowns, Isolations, Safety Observer
Service type
Minimum charge   
Supply shutdown of Network (covers)
Isolation of Services
Hold Electrical Power poles
Safety observer

NGZ site visit requests for AusNet Transmission Group

To progress your NGZ request where high voltage overhead or underground transmission lines are involved, you will need to contact our Line Assets Easements Group to a arrange approval of the proposed works and obtain written authorisation which may include a Permit to Work.



Phone: 1300 360 795 

Dial Before You Dig

Before starting any digging or excavation work, please contact Dial Before You Dig by calling 1100.