AusNet Services (ASX: AST) announced today that agreement has been secured with leading French renewable energy producer Neoen to develop the transmission connection for the 204 MW ‘Bulgana Green Power Hub’ located near Stawell in the Wimmera region of central western Victoria.
The Bulgana Green Power Hub consists of 56 wind turbines and a 21MW/34MWh lithium-ion battery storage system which, once fully commissioned, are expected to generate more than 750,000 MWh of clean, renewable electricity into the national power grid. The reduction in emissions is equivalent to taking 230,000 cars off the road or planting 1.2 million trees, with enough power to supply 130,000 Victorian homes with renewable energy.
The project is set to supply up to 15 per cent of its power to a new high-tech 40 hectare glasshouse facility being developed by Nectar Farms; both projects estimated to lead to more than 1,300 direct jobs in the Stawell region and 270 ongoing. The other 85 per cent of power generated will be fed directly into the national power grid.
The transmission connection will include a transmission line and a terminal station linking in to AusNet Services’ Victorian transmission network.
AusNet Services’ Executive General Manager Commercial Energy Services, Chad Hymas, said that the business continued to strengthen its commitment to renewable energy generation across Australia.
“AusNet Services is pleased to partner with Neoen on this sizable wind and battery power hub. This is a win-win for community, business and the environment as it supports central western Victoria’s energy supply system, accelerates local business and contributes towards substantial job growth in the area,” Mr Hymas said.
The agreement follows an extensive period of collaborative technical planning between AusNet Services and Neoen, in conjunction with industry and state planning bodies, and remains subject to customary conditions.
For media enquiries
Phone: 03 9483 0989